(Get Answer) – Discussion post help | PSYC 3011 – Addictions Assessment | Walden University
Discussion: Interviewing Techniques
One of the best ways to learn how to do an interview is to watch someone else conduct one. This week, you will view a media clip of someone conducting an interview that is part of an addictions assessment. The interview uses a biopsychosocial approach, in that it collects information about medical aspects (prior illnesses, current medications), social history (childhood, school, employment) and psychological functioning (anxiety, depression). The goal of the interview is to start developing an overall picture of the client.
In this Discussion, you will evaluate which interview strategies would be more effective than others in an addictions assessment.
Review the Learning Resources, including the following:
- Chapter 5, “Assessment of the Patient,” in The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment
- Chemical Dependency Counseling: A Practical Guide
- Chapter 4, “The Biopsychosocial Interview”
- Appendix 6, “Sample Biopsychosocial Interview”
- The media titled Interviewing Techniques
By Day 4
Post a response to the following:
Based on your observation of the addictions professional in the scenario, describe one interview strategy you believe was effectively modeled. Explain why it was effective.
Which interviewing strategies used by the interviewer in the media would you avoid, and why?