(Get Answer) – Amh discussion 11 | American history homework help
Discussion #11: The Struggle for Civil Rights
Throughout the 1950s African Americans in northern cities grew increasingly active in opposing discrimination and in protesting white resistance to black progress in housing, education, and employment. Martin Luther King and others embarked on a campaign of nonviolent resistance and demonstrations, which spread to the south. Some of the leadership in the Deep South responded with brutal force, taking a militant stand against change, and in defiance of federal legislation to grant African Americans their civil rights.
In order to prepare for this discussion forum:
- Review and identify the relevant sections of Chapter 29 that support your discussion.
- Read the linked essay DEBATING THE PAST: The Civil Rights Movement
- Review the material contained in the Enrichment Activities Folder and select one of the resources for your discussion. Make sure that you cite which one you have reviewed to support your discussion.
After you have completed your readings post your response to only One of the following questions:
- Identify and list some of the factors that contributed to the success of the Civil Rights movement. Choose one, and discuss its significance to the movement, and explain why you made this particular choice.
- “Ironically, the reaction of many southern whites to the civil rights activities may have actually served to help the blacks’ cause.” Agree or Disagree with this statement. Make sure that you provide evidence to support your argument.