Explain the differences between electronic health record implementation, adoption, and optimization.
Today’s healthcare organizations are challenged with multiple projects occurring simultaneously. Electronic health record implementation is a long-term commitment of financial, physical, and human resources. One aspect of this implementation project is workflow analysis: the transition from paper-based documentation to using technology for all aspects of managing patient information poses a significant change and often challenges to how busy clinicians work. A third component of a large-scale technology project could be the implementation of a patient portal.
In a 3- to 5-page essay, respond to the following:
- Explain the differences between electronic health record implementation, adoption, and optimization.
- Explain the concept of an electronic health record migration path.
- Discuss how the electronic health record is not a single application or computer device, but a complex set of software and hardware.
- Define workflow analysis and explain the steps necessary when attempting to complete a workflow redesign within a departmental area (you may choose any department within a healthcare organization).
- Describe the benefits a patient portal will bring to patients in a healthcare organization. Describe why patient portals are becoming more popular and how health informatics professionals can help in their management.